The main tasks of a fitter are:
- Installation. Depending on the size and number of items to be installed, a fitter working alone or as part of a team, will have the responsibility of unpacking, positioning, installing and commissioning new machines, plant and/or other equipment in factories and other work sites. The installation may be as large as a power station, or be part (or all) of a factory and its contents.
- Routine maintenance. Fitters are typically responsible for carrying-out routine (scheduled) maintenance on machines, plant and equipment once they are in service to keep them in working order. Tasks would include routine lubrication (oiling / greasing) of moving parts etc.
- Diagnostics and repairs. At some stage of its working life, components fail. This may be due to misalignment, over load, misuse, wear or breakage. As a result the machine, plant or equipment may begin to show signs of impending failure, or it may fail to operate. Fitters diagnose the problem, locate its cause, then repair it.
- Overhaul. Due to the cost of replacing older machines, plant and equipment, it is often preferable to recondition or overhaul them, than to replace them. In such cases the fitter dismantles the machine, plant or equipment, analyses each of its components for wear, replaces or repairs those components as required, then reassembles the machine, plant or equipment, and commissions it back into working order.
- Employment opportunities: Fitters are in huge demand in heavy and medium industries all over India and abroad.
Course Duration : 2 years.
Entry Qualification : Passed 10th class exam (should have Science and Mathematics in class X)
Intake capacity per unit : 20
Minimum Age limit : 14 years
Trade Test and Certification:
All-India Trade Tests are conducted by the Directorate General of Training (DGT), Ministry of Skill Development And Entrepreneurship under the aegis of the National Council for Vocational Training.
National Trade Certificates are awarded to the successful candidates.
National Trade Certificate is a recognized qualification for recruitment to relevant posts and services in Central/State Government establishments.